Thursday, July 14, 2011

What a Friend we have in Jesus

Church last night was a lot of fun! I gave a lesson on having Jesus be your very best friend. Its based on the verse Phil 4:6-7 and the hymn, "What a Friend We have in Jesus"

"Don’t worry about anything; instead, pray about everything. Tell God what you need, and thank him for all he has done. 7 Then you will experience God’s peace, which exceeds anything we can understand. His peace will guard your hearts and minds as you live in Christ Jesus."

What I wanted the kids to take away from this is that, Jesus wants to be our friend he wants us to talk to Him about everything and anything, like we do our best friend. We share our secrets, dreams & fears. God wants to be this in our lives.

These kids have that "child-like" faith where they pray for anything anyway, I have the perfect example...my four year old nephew, Mason. Zach and I taught Bible Study during VBS this year and Mason prayed in class one night. He said, "God please let me go to Zach and Trisha's and spend the night in the tractor room." Mason prayed because he knows that if you pray God will hear you! God answered his prayer the following week! :)

Phil 4:6-7 was not just something that the kids need to hear. I needed to hear it to! HE says don't worry about ANYTHING instead PRAY ABOUT EVERYTHING! Everything means everything! He wants to hear from me no matter how small or how large the situation. I am His daughter and He wants me to find comfort in Him.

During our campfire time on Wednesday nights we sing "old" hymns. I used to complain so much about having more contemporary music in church. Since campfire time learning about these hymns and the stories of those who wrote them, makes me appreciate them so much more. Last night I fell in love with, "What a Friend we have in Jesus." The words are so beautiful and bring great comfort. Read it slowly and ponder the words. I hope it "hits home" with you.

1 What a friend we have in Jesus, all our sins and griefs to bear! What a privilege to carry everything to God in prayer!
O what peace we often forfeit,O what needless pain we bear, all because we do not carry everything to God in prayer.

2 Have we trials and temptations? Is there trouble anywhere? We should never be discouraged;
take it to the Lord in prayer.
Can we find a friend so faithful who will all our sorrows share? Jesus knows our every weakness;
take it to the Lord in prayer.

3 Are we weak and heavy laden, cumbered with a load of care? Precious Savior, still our refuge;
take it to the Lord in prayer.
Do thy friends despise, forsake thee? Take it to the Lord in prayer! In his arms he'll take and shield thee; thou wilt find a solace there.

Just in the first verse: Jesus, our friend, we can cast all our cares upon Him AND its a privilege! Then we give up having a peace that passes all understanding and go through unecessary worry & pain because we do not go to God in prayer!

For some reason this hymn & Phil 4:6-7 just speaks to me, it actually blows my mind because of how often I don't have that peace that only God can give. I walk around being scared, anxious, & sad instead of choosing to let God take care of it. God gives us the privilege to rely on Him, but we often don't take advantage of that and HE wants us to!


"In His arms He'll take and shield thee; thou wilt find a solace there."

No comments:

Post a Comment