Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Saturday & Sunday...Whew!

We had a very busy weekend so this is a little long :)

I look forward to weekends when we don't have any obligations. Times that we can sleep in and enjoy the company of each other. Saturday had the potential of being one of those special times, however, when Zach is on-call we have to be flexible.

He tells me Friday night we are going to get up at 7 then he is going to take me to Bobby's. Bobby's is one of the many perks of living on "the other side of the tracks." It is a truck stop/grill located on hwy 601.  Zach and I are omelet connoisseurs and he claims that Bobby's has the BEST omelets! Many months ago we said we would go sometime so I could finally enjoy the omelet masterpiece. So of course I am so excited when he tells me that Friday night! "How thoughtful of my husband to take me to breakfast at the local truck stop!" In all seriousness it really made me feel good, not because we were going to a truck stop, but because it was something we said we would do and he took the initiative to make it happen for me. So 8:30 rolls around and we finally are out of bed and of coures he has to go work! No Bobby's this weekend maybe next time. I'm also looking forward to eating a hamburger at Duke's! :)

The rest of our Saturday continued with me doing housework/cooking and him working. We had my family reunion and his family's reunion on Sunday both at 1 o'clock! So I spent the afternoon preparing a marinated vegetable salad and a lemon-blueberry cake. The cake was very simple, but for some reason it gave me more trouble than I had planned for. I was meeting up with my bud A.B. to go to the Lilesville Rodeo at 7 and at 6:30 I still had frosting on my face and blueberry filling all over the countertop! Needless to say, we made it to the rodeo fashionably late. If you are interested I'll post the recipes for marinated vegetable salad and the lemon blueberry cake at the end.

Sunday comes around and this is the very first "Little Reunion" that Zach had been to. I bet you can't guess what happened...yes he "got a call" at 12:30! However, he was able to make it back by 2:00 so he was able to enjoy some of the goodies! He did enjoy the veggie salad, but I can't let him eat too much of it because he is allergic to all things good for him such as, tomatoes & cucs. As for the Blueberry-Lemon cake he said this, "if I was in a restaruant, I wouldn't order it." In other words, he didn't like it! Ha-ha its okay though everyone else at the reunion enjoyed it, even me.


Here are the recipes. Hope you enjoy them!

Marinated Vegetable Salad (healthly + quick)

You can do this a variety of ways, adding whatever veggies you like best.  This is what I did:

1 red bell pepper diced
1 yellow bell pepper diced
2 medium cucumbers sliced
1/2 red onion sliced
2 cups broccoli florets
2 medium tomatoes sliced and seeded
1/2 -1 cup of Italian Dressing

Cut all veggies and place in large bowl. Pour dressing over veggies, stir, then cover and refrigerate 8 hours or over night.
I used Roasted Red Pepper Italian dressing because thats what I had on hand. 

Blueberry-Lemon Cake ( I was inspired to try this at an attempt to replicate my wedding cake!!)

1 box white cake mix
1 1/4 cups water
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 Tbs lemon zest
3 eggs
1 1/3 cups blueberry pie filling

Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease 2 (8-inch or 9-inch) round cake pans with baking spray with flour.

In large bowl, beat cake mix, water, oil, lemon peel and eggs with electric mixer on low speed 30 seconds. Beat on medium speed 2 minutes, scraping bowl occasionally. Pour into pans.

Bake:
8-inch rounds 27 to 32 minutes
9-inch rounds 23 to 28 minutes
OR until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
Cool in pans 10 minutes. Remove from pans to cooling racks. Cool completely, about 1 hour.

Place 1st layer on cake plate and add 2/3 cup blueberry filling. Add 2nd layer. Begin icing only the sides of the cake. Build up a slight edge of frosting around the cake, then add remaining filling to the top. Garnish with lemon peel or wedge.

I skipped the lemon zest and used a lemon cake mix. Then I skipped the store bought icing and made my own vanilla buttercream.


No comments:

Post a Comment